Thursday, October 31, 2013

SPEAK FINAL ASSIGNMENT

Marley Medina
10-30-13


 
1.  In this paragraph I will be describing an example of a time when my inner and outer voices were discording each other, or in disagreement. This occasion that I’ll be talking about in my following paragraph was actually not to long ago. I was deciding whether to try out for basketball in the winter or do another sport. I went back and forth on it for a while and I really wasn't sure what to do. My inner voice was kind of saying “don’t do it, you won’t like it, you don't even like basketball.”
When signups came around this week I ended up signing up anyway. At first after signing up I felt relieved that I wouldn't have to go back and forth in my head anymore, but also anxious because I don't know what the season is going to be like, because we haven't started our season yet. But I felt better because a lot of my friends are playing and I’ve played basketball throughout Middle and Elementary School and I'm comfortable with the sport, and who knows what I would have signed up for instead of basketball? What if I was really bad, or if I knew no one on the team? It’ll probably end up working out in the long run! Let’s just hope I made the right decision!


    2. An example of when both my inner and outer voices were in harmony and agreed with one another is one that I experience actually quite often. It really bothers me when people say someone is or is acting like a retard. And whenever I hear a friend or anyone saying it I say “I don't like that word”, or “ bad word” because to me honest I really HATE that word. It bugs me everytime I hear it. My inner and outer voices are in harmony in this scenario is because in my inner voice I'm like oh my god don't say that  hate that stupid word! While my outer voice is saying “bad word”, or “I don't like that word.” So this shows that my voices are in sync. So whenever I hear that and my two voices speak out as one it makes me feel good because I know that I'm doing what I would want myself to do in that situation, and I think it’s the right thing. This is an example that I‘ve experienced and it seems to be actually frequent, when both my inner and outer voices communicated together and came out with the same answer every time.
   


   
3a.     An example in the book when it shows Melinda’s inner and outer voices are in discord was on the first day of school when Melinda’s in the cafeteria for lunch when someone pores their tray of food onto her and she runs outside and is met in the hall by Mr. Neck.


“Mr. Neck: ‘We meet again.’
ME:



Would he listen to ‘I need to go home and change,’ or ‘Did you see what that bozo did?’ Not a chance. I Keep my mouth shut.” (9)


This section of the story shows when her two voices are not agreeing with each other because when she is talking to him in the hall her inner voice wants to come back at him and explain why she’s in the hall, and her outer voices doesn't say a word.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment