Sunday, October 27, 2013

ORA Book Review


Marley Medina
10-24-13

“ A Child Called It”
A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer. Omaha Press, 1993.
Genre: Non-Fiction, Biography

1. Pelzer A Child Called It gave a future to a childhood lost.
2.First Quarter Outside Reading Book Review
4. Dave Pelzer’s chilling childhood story tells us what it felt like living in his shoes as he grew up in a nightmare. His troubled mother tortures, starves, and beats him in the story, while his cowardly father just stood there and watched his son being abused. The book takes place in California and was in fact recorded as one of the most severe child abuse cases in California. In a smaller picture the story was placed in Dave’s childhood home, and his school. His school plays a huge part in his life because school teachers and officials removed him from his situation and reported the abuse. Also what kept Dave from “giving up” was his motivation and hope that one day he’ll have a family that loves him.
5. “Once this book was in my hands, I couldn’t put it down. This is the best book on the subject of child abuse I have ever read. As the reader moves with Dave through fear, isolation, pain and rage to eventual hope, the dark world of the abused child becomes painfully clear. We become aware of the child’s cry through David’s eyes, ears and body. A Child Called It made me want to hold my family close to my heart and cherish our love.”
-Valerie Bivens, Social Worker
Child Protective Services
The State Of California



6. Though I have not read any other books from this author, I would like to continue the series. I like how Pelzer told his own story because that’s how the reader knows all the information that the author provides you is true and as detailed as possible. I also enjoy how the writing style is very vivid and descriptive and even though at points in the story you wanted to erase images from your memory it helps the reader create images to help the reader.
7. “ Finally i told myself. “You cry, you die. Now, take care of the wound.”
(pg.97)
8. as a child I felt that it can be hard to care for myself at times, and I don’t have abusive parents. That’s why Dave really inspired me, because he took care of himself and fought for survival with brutal beatings and days without food. And i’m just glad that in the end he didn’t let his mother win.
8. I give A Child Called It ( 4 paws) = Pounce On It!

No comments:

Post a Comment